Halifax debit card
Halifax Visa Debit Card Review
The Halifax debit card is Visa branded, Your Visa Debit Cards can be used to.
- Pay for goods or services in shops, restaurants, wherever you see the Visa logo shown on your debit card.
- Get up to £100 cash back when you pay with your Halifax debit card in many shops, supermarkets and other retailers. A convenient way to get cash without visiting a cash machine
- Make purchases online with your debit card. Your card is security is enhanced when you sign-up to either Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode.
- Withdraw cash without paying fees at any Halifax bank branch cash machine. (You can also withdraw cash from non-branch cash machines, but some will charge a fee).
Use your Halifax Visa Debit Card Overseas
- Before you travel, tell Halifax you will be using your debit card abroad.
- Pay for goods or services worldwide wherever you see the Visa logo.
- Withdraw local currency at cash machines worldwide
When using your Halifax visa card abroad any foreign currency debit card payments, including cash withdrawals are converted to Sterling by VISA using wholesale market rates applying on the day the conversion is made.
When paying for goods in the UK use your Halifax debit card
Use your Halifax Visa Debit card to pay for goods where ever you see the Visa symbol. Remember to check the amount before you enter your PIN or sign a sales voucher. You can spend up to the balance on your account, or the amount of any agreed overdraft.
Getting Cashback on your Halifax debit card
Many supermarkets and retailers in the UK offer cashback up to £100 when paying by debit card. Cashback provides convenient access to your money without using a cash machine.
Does Halifax Guarantee cheques
If your debit card features the cheque guarantee symbol, Halifax will guarantee your personal cheques up to the amount shown on your debit card.
Withdrawing Cash on your Halifax debit card
You can withdraw cash at any Halifax or Royal Bank of Scotlandcash machines in the UK. These are split between branches, as well as Tesco, and petrol stations, foreign exchange outlets and train stations.
Replacement debit cards / Stolen debit cards
If you lose your debit card or have it stolen, you should call us immediately on 08457 20 30 99. Lines are open 24 hours a day. Halifax will then cancel the card and send you a replacement.
Halifax will replace up to two cards free for each account in any 12-month period. Halifax will charge you £5 for each further replacement card you ask for in a 12-month period (beginning from the date you open your account).
If your card is damaged, you can cancel it and arrange a replacement by calling 08457 20 30 40 (lines open 8am to 8pm seven days a week).
Identity theft with your Halifax debit card
Identity theft is when somebody uses your name and other personal information for fraudulent purposes. Halifax state of the art fraud detection systems look for unusual activity on your account. Also keep yourself protected by following the tips below:
- Memorise your PIN and then destroy the PIN advice and any other security information provided.
- Keep secure (or shred) all receipts, letters and other confidential papers including bank statements that contain your name and address or other personal information.
- Don’t keep items such as cheque books, cards and personal identification (e.g. passport, driving licence) together
Free Banking provided by Halifax
Halifax debit card Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc. They are entered in the Financial Services Authority’s Register and their Register Numbers are 169628, 119223, 171881, 183332 and 189101.