Prevent debit card fraud
Bank Accounts Debit Card fraud prevention
Make sure you are not the next victim to debit card fraud. Read information and security safety tips.
Prevent Debit Card Fraud
Debit card fraud from an ATM can happen to anyone ensure you are not the next victim by taking the following steps.
Be aware of Skimmer Attachments to ATM Machines
Look for attachments around the ATM card dispenser as criminals often capture information through ATM skimming devises. The skimmer devises steals information from the magnetic and captures ATM card numbers but will not obtain card PIN numbers.
How to spot a Skimmer attachment?
At a first glance, the skimmer looks like a regular ATM slot, the attachment slightly protrudes from the machine and may not be parallel with the grooves. The ATM slot should be flush and not protruding out. Sometimes when criminals are rushing the skimmer will overlay printed labels on the ATM machine.
How to they get my pin number from an ATM machine?
There are several ways either by fraudsters placing hidden cameras that cover the ATM screen or by a spotter, which is a helpful bystander (criminal) who may be standing near you to inform you the ATM machine has had problems.
Ways to prevent fraud.
Shield when entering your numbers or if you do not feel safe press the cancel button and remove your debit card.
The more time you spend at the ATM, the more vulnerable you are. If you need to update your records do it in the banking branch, or online. But not while at the ATM. If at anytime you feel unsafe or think you are being followed, go to a public area and if need be call the police.
Try to avoid withdrawing cash from ATM's at night. If you need to ensure you are aware of your surroundings and where possible use one inside the branch. Financial institutions have to follow certain guidelines and regulations to ensure adequate lighting and cameras cover the location.
Debit card protection dos and don't s
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Before you put your debit card into the machine, look around to see if the area appears safe or if there is anybody who can see the PIN pad. Having the card ready before entering is ATM premises is better than searching for it though the purse at the machine.
- Keep your receipts before leaving the place; do not leave your receipt behind at the ATM
- Before you leave the machine, make sure you have your debit card.
- Memorize your PIN.
- Never disclose your PIN to anyone.
- Always change the PIN as soon as you receive it.
- Never provide information via e-mail
Useful information - Using Debit Cards abroad
Useful information - What are Debit Card